Minor Travel Consent Form-When and Why You Need One

Do I need a minor travel consent form when traveling out of the country with my minor child without the other parent? This question comes up all the time in family travel groups! Maybe you’re married and traveling out of the country with your kids and no spouse or the grandparents or taking the kids on a trip out of the country. While often you will not be asked for one, it’s best to have one because if they do ask and you don’t have it, you may be going right back home!

The US Customs and Border protection strongly recommends you have a consent for when traveling alone with minor children, “U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) strongly recommends that unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child’s other parent (or, in the case of a child traveling with grandparents, uncles or aunts, sisters or brothers, friends, or in groups*, a note signed by both parents) stating “I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is traveling out of the country with my son/daughter/group. He/She/They has/have my permission.” 

Since I travel alone with my daughter a lot of the time, we use this minor travel consent form and have it notarized. I’ve been asked for it once, and it was in the middle of our trip. We flew LAX to Stockholm and were fine at the airport in Stockholm. But when we were going from Copenhagen to Poland halfway through our trip, they wanted to see the consent form and I was so glad I had it! In addition the the notarized form, I have a copy of my husband’s passport as well.

In conclusion, it’s better to be safe than sorry! While many people will tell you that they didn’t need one, you may just be asked like we were! Many banks offer notary services for free to their customers in the US so it won’t even cost you anything. Do you have any other tips to share when traveling alone with minor kids? Share them below!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons
error: Content is protected!